The snapdragons were a fun followup the the rats. 20 puppets and again designed the molds and armatures.
For Paranorman I supervised the background puppet dept. My team made 20+ puppets with oldschool mechanical heads. None of this newfangeled 3D prototype printed faces on printed head cores (though that is some cool shit) for the likes of us! I did work on a blending of the two techniques, the tall male to right of center in the above photo is the result. A very expressive mouth was the requirement which I think we managed.
For Boxtrolls I again worked in the background dept. Our task largely consisted of making as many different characters using a few different parts, ie, legs arms and bodies as was possible. We made both humans and boxtrolls with this technique. I made the head and molds for this puppet. Note the screws around the scalp, this is a technique to help facilitate the easy removal of the skin for fitting and repair. The screws and corresponding spaces in the skin act as snaps.